1994 Grand Prix 3.1 - various problems

I have a 94 GP SE. It's been a very good car, but has developed some problems. 105,000 miles, but in EXCELLENT condition.

  1. I personally replaced the rear struts 2 times with aftermarkets...Carquest, Gabriel, etc...now the car rides like a truck...very stiff. WHY?

  1. The engine leaks oil...somewhere???? not on the ground, doesn't seem to go out the exhaust. I've learned to live with this problem, because I've found out it's leaky intake gaskets and distributor seal.

  2. It seems to have developed an exhaust leak in the past month and it sounds like the exhaust manifold near the firewall. This should be a treat to change.

  1. The a/c compressor has suddenly started causing a vibration. I suspect bad bearings.

  2. This has always been a problem. Intermittently, the car won't turn over, like a bad electrical connection in the ignition circuit. I've replaced the starter/solenoid, and ignition switch over the past 50,000 miles, but never cured it. It has never failed to start though, because if it acts up, I try it 2,3,4 or 5 times until it starts.

Any input is appreciated. Especially with No.1.

Reply to
Bill

You picked HiPo replacements over OEM style amybe? Changed the tires to lower profile giving you less sidewall to work with the suspension?

You answered your own question.

Or it could be the maifold to pipe joint. More likely and not hard to change.

On top of all these other problems it must be one heck of a vibration for you to even notice it. Does the A/C still cool? Does the compressor cycle?

Wow, another one from out of the blue.

" in EXCELLENT condition"

With a list of problems like this I'd HATE to see what you call "POOR"condition.

You've pretty much listed some of the more common issues discussed in this group in the last 2 months. You could do a Google groups search with a few keywords. You could look back over the previous posts. All of these issues are covered in dozens of places.

A good suggestion, pick one thing at a time to troubleshoot and fix. Concentrate on that till it's been dealt with. Then move to the next.

Reply to
FBR

My rear struts are very stiff too. Don't remember the brand. About 75,000 miles on them.

The "distributor seal" is easy to replace. Try to re-torque the intake bolts to stop leaks. Re-torque valve covers to stop leaks too.

Had the intermittent starting problem too. Went to replace the starter motor and saw that the wire connector was very tarnished. I polished every thing with fine sand paper then cleaned with solvent, put it all back together and returned the replacement motor to the store. It would then crank faster than it ever has and has not caused any problems since. While I was under there I cleaned all the grounds too.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

OK, I guess I opened myself up for criticism. The exhaust leak and a/c didn't start happening until the past month or so. The struts are probably my fault because I used aftermarket struts. Monro has some that specifically say softer ride. I'm wondering if they are any good for a Grand Prix. It seems the Gabriels must be a universal strut meant for a tank or something. They are junk on this car.

As far as the oil leak, this is a known problem with a 3.1. The ignition connection problem...who knows. It's been doing this for 4 years ever since I've had the car. I also cleaned the connections, but haven't solved the problem.

Thanks.....I still think it was a pretty good car for the first 100,000 miles considering it's an American car, but it still looks pretty much like new with all the ground effect mouldings.

Reply to
Bill

I am responding to your starter problem. I have a 1993 grand prix LE, and never had starter problems until one day the starter took a dump and wouldn't start I took the old started apart and discovered the brushes were worn out so i went to my local auto part store and purchased a new after market starter with a lifetime warranty. I installed the starter and it started right up! My problem solved or so I thought, after two weeks with the after market starter my car began to click when i would attempt to start it, it would click once and then start but after one week it would take two clicks before starting then three so after a month of putting up with this starter I decided to return the starter for a replacement so I put in the replacement starter and uwa-la! It worked on the first try problem solved... nope! After three days the replacement was doing the same thing as the previous one so I decided to buy an OE starter at my local GM dealer and installed it. Its been 5 months now and the starter has not given me any more problems which goes to show never compromise on your car parts stick with OE GM parts.

Sincerely,

Dave

P.S.

Im not sure if you had replaced your starter with an after market starter but if you did then you should look into buy an OE starter.

Reply to
David B.