1997 sunfire questions, plz help!

Hi. I've had a good deal on a 1997 sunfire and I've bought it. (2300$ canadian with 133k km). Last night when driving home from a 75km trip, on my way back the odometer stopped working. Everything else works, but the km don't change anymore, and a hear a sound that compares to a scratch. I can feel the odometer wanting to change km, but it's almost like it skips a tooth or two and not turning anymore. This is very annoying, as the sound is pretty loud. My question: anybody has seen this on a 97' sunfire? what can it be? is it hard to get to the back of instrument cluster to check the wire? I'm thinking maybe I got screwed, the guy turned back the odometer to sell the car faster and now it doesn't work anymore... I don't know. Also, do the 97 sunfires with 2.2 manual tranny and two doors, do they have a timing belt or chain? if it's a chain, when should I change it, same thing with the belt. anybody who can help, please post. thanks.

Reply to
HabGuy