97 sunfire stalls on inclines

My 97 2.2lt. sunfire runs fine untill i try to stop on either an incline or decline. It will then stall. It will start right up but once it is in gear it will make a clanking sound and die. Once it is back on flat level ground it will start up and run fine again. anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Reply to
howes

Makes me wonder if this is some kind of weird transmission problem. Is your transmission fluid level proper?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Does it do it with a full gas tank?

Reply to