ATF change and flush?

I need to change the ATF fluid in my truck. I have heard both good and bad things about a full power flush... What is everyone's opinions? This is on my '88 Chevy 1-ton R30.

Reply to
aGraham

The most important thing to do is to change the filter and examine the debris in the bottom of the pan as an indicator of transmission condition. Flushing does nothing but stir up the debris, possibly leading to a plugged filter, and puts money in the pockets of the quickie lube shops.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

if you have never changed the filter DO NOT power flush..power flushing is ok if it's done regularly but even thn the filter shound come off..i had an 05 hemi ram come in 6 months ago with a blown trans,450 km after a power flush because they didn't drop the filter...the shop i work at now does not power flush and the shop i worked at before power flushed but dropped the filter EVERY time.

Reply to
redeye-racing

Flushing can kill or save the trans depending on its condition, but more often than not, it will definatly help.

I have a '92 Caravan with 233,000 miles on it and the only thing that's been done is two filter changes. The fluid is dark with a slight hint of burn. If I had it flushed, it would, more likely than not, fry.

I put an '88 TH700R4 into my '75 K20 Pick-up. The trans only has about

40,000 on it and I am gonna do a flush and filter next month. I don't know when or IF the trans was ever flushed.

What I am saying is this...There IS a point of no return when it comes to the condition of the trans, the condition of the fluid, and the number of miles on both. If the fluid is over 2yrs old - Flush and Filter. If the vehicle is used for towing within its "rated" capacity - Flush and filter every 25,000 or so. If the Truck is driven like its stolen and/or is worked like a Truck should be able to handle - Flush and filter every 10,000-15,000 and run synthetic. If you got the truck recently and there is no maintenance info showing a recent flush and filter - Flush and filter. If the trans and fluid are HIGH miles and the fluid isn't the best - Filter and fill and run a can of Sea-Foam TransTune or a bottle of LubeGard, or, take a chance and have a flush and filter.

If you didn't notice a trend, lemme point out that filter was mentioned EVERY time...and EVERY time the filter is changed the pan should be cleaned thoroughly.

Reply to
Shades

90 chevy 300,000 miles,,, Same Fluid which tells u it has the Same filter since car was new 89 S-10 4X4 SNOWPLOW truck 225,000 miles .. Same filter also as well as Fluid NO OIL COOLER EITHER ..Bought this Truck NEW also

TOO many people Believe in all those WIVE TALES that say to Change the fluid.

2000 Cavaleir.. 41,000 miles , and I have Yest to CHANGE any OILS, this includes the ENGINE OIL
Reply to
tom

They say ignorance is bliss..... I'm just wondering.... Is it? You sound like someone who should know.

Reply to
Bob

These are some of the stupidest replies I've ever seen. If you keep changing the filter that often, you won't have a transmission left. It isn't even necessary to ever change the filter. I have 202,000 on my Chevy and the filter has never been changed, let alone flushed.

10,000-15,000
Reply to
Jerry Seniff

Ignorance is believing everything you are told ! I take it that you WENT to college !

Reply to
tom

I never went to college. I love people like you, they paid for my house, and put my kids through college with the money I made fixing their cars.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I agree 100%... I hate oil changes.... hardly any money to be made. Installing a new engine on the other hand....... LOL. I wish there were more thrifty people like Tom around.

Reply to
Bob

See you fell for it..

Whitelightning Clipped the milage that is on those vehicles .. Just to make HIMSELF look good and u fell for it !

Reply to
tom

Flushing is a proceedure designed primarily to flush the oney out of your wallet. Does AAMCO flush their trannies that they cover with lifetime warranty? Do dealers flush trannies under waranty? NO and NO. The reason: Transmission failure is caused by seals hardening,leaks,the occasional hard-part failure,and plain old abuse or finally wearing out. I would like to point out that NONE of these conditions are effected by flushing.--cougar

Reply to
Joe Cougar

Ok, I now understand a "power" flush is bad... I am just going to go for a complete fluid change, drop pan, change filter, drain torque converter. I looked in the book and the last ime the tranny filter is listed as changed is 70K miles ago. The fluid still looks clear, not sure about the smell.

Reply to
aGraham

I wonder how many people in here even know what transmission fliud started out as, and when it changed.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

???????