2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Breaklights not working

My driverside and passengerside breaklights are not working, but the center light is. I have checked the fuse and bulbs, they all look good. It seems like it could be an electrical connection, but i do not know where to begin. Is there anyone who could help me with this problem?

Reply to
davidml75

IIRC, there are two brake switches on this vehicle. ONe for the high light and one for the low lights. Check both of them. They are up under the dash. The brake pedal actuates them. If its not the brake switches then i would check the turn signal switch next.

Reply to
« Paul »

I looked under the dash, but I am not sure what I am looking for, which side of the dash are you refering too? And what am I looking for? Do all the break lights run on the same fuse? I noticed today that my left blinker blinks faster than before, and faster than the rightside, but bothsides do work. All lights are working except for the two breaklights.

Reply to
davidml75

The brake pedal actuates them mechanically so it would be the side of the vehicle that has the brake pedal. You should look for the switches that actuate the brake lights. The fast or slow blinking could be related. A burned out bulb or bad ground will make the lights blink slow. A short will make them blink fast. It could still be the turn sig switch though.

Reply to
« Paul »

Look higher-up near the top of the break pedal.

« Paul » wrote:

I looked under the dash, but I am not sure what I am looking for, which side of the dash are you refering too? And what am I looking for? Do all the break lights run on the same fuse? I noticed today that my left blinker blinks faster than before, and faster than the rightside, but bothsides do work. All lights are working except for the two breaklights.

Reply to
jwardl

Ok, so I replaced the bulbs, and the stop light switch, but the lights are still not turning on. I also removed the flasher relay, after I reinstalled it (because part will need to be ordered) the left side slowed back down to normal. Any other suggestions? I am lost.

jwardl wrote:

Reply to
davidml75