2001 Grand Am Radio problem

Hope you folks can help me. My son installed an aftermarket radio/cd player in my daughter's 2001 Grand Am. The instructions stated that the old radio, (which was replaced), had to be left connected because the airbag is somehow wired thru it. The old radio had to be placed in the trunk and is still wired up. Now, ....when the car sits over the weekend without being driven, the battery drains. It appears that the battery can handle the amp draw from either radio, but not both. Have any of you run into this problem? Any solutions? I'd sure appreciate any help. Thanks.......Smurfsdad Illinois

Reply to
Smurfsdad

The car should be able to handle both going no problem. What it sounds like to me is that the constant power and the ignition only power wires got switched or connected together somehow. I would double check them just in case.

If by chance the car trying to keep memory in both IS causing the battery to die. You may be able to take both power inputs of the factory radio and connect them to the ignition only power wire. Since you would only need the air bag while driving anyway. I would definitely check with a pontiac dealer or someone qualified to be sure it would work, what with all this integrated security features now. Otherwise, that makes perfect sense to me. It would only draw power when the car's ignition was on.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

The air bag stuff is seperate from the radio...

Reply to
Paradox

I believe the radio is part of the serial communications network in the car. I also believe it also controls the warning chimes. I'm figuring something is staying on when it shouldn't, possibly because of being wired incorrectly. Changing more than one constant power wire to only one constant power wire will not decrease parasitic draw. It'll just draw the same amount through one wire that it was previously drawing through the higher number of wires.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundaitech is correct. I'm not real familiar with much of the electronics of newer vehicles because I've never owned one newer than my current '95.

Since things such as warning chimes are through the factory radio, connecting it only to the ignition power wouldn't be a good idea after all. Something must be connected wrong. Double check carefully and get back to us.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

I agree....the air bag is not tied into the radio wiring at all.

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz