2001 Pontiac Bonneville

My 2001 Bonneville has a noticeable clunking feel in the steering, particularly at low speeds. I checked ALLDATA.COM and found this T.S.B. Can anyone provide me with the contents of this Service Bulletin please? Thanks.

Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2001 Pontiac Bonneville V6-3.8L SC VIN

  1. TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title

04-02-35-004C DEC 04 Steering - Front End Clunk Noise When Turning
Reply to
StingRay

I had the same issue with mine along with countless other front end warranty. They finally changed the entire steering rack. Here is a link to the TBS info

Tom

Thanks alot Tom! This is definitely the problem I have with my car. Do you happen to know if this is a safety issue? Will something fall apart if I don't get a new Intermediate Steering Shaft installed? Or is the clunk merely a nuisance that won't lead to further problems? As you may have guessed from my questions, my car is past the warranty period. Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
StingRay

I am not a mechanic so I really can't say about safety. Although I suspect if it was a safety issue it would be a recall and not a TSB. There were numerous TSBs on the steering for that vehicle. I think I had all of them done under warranty luckily. Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom, I took it into the dealership today and they advised that there is no safety issue involved and that the "clunk" will not get any worse. Since it is only noticeable when sitting still or moving slowly, I'm gonna see if I can live with it. If not, the fix is about Can. $ 425.00, which isn't all that bad. Thanks again for your help Tom!

Reply to
StingRay

Tom, I took it into the dealership today and you are correct, they advised that there is no safety issue involved and that the "clunk" will not get any worse. Since it is only noticeable when sitting still or moving slowly, I'm gonna see if I can live with it. If not, the fix is about Can. $ 425.00, which isn't all that bad. Thanks again for your help Tom!

Reply to
StingRay

Glad I was able to help. You may as well save the $425 and put it towards the intake manifold repair when it goes. Mine just went at 72K and it was around $1K to fix.

Reply to
Tom

Ouch! I'm at 67K on mine, so I have 5K to go! Tom, thanks again for all your help and advice.

Reply to
StingRay

Granted, having to replace an intake manifold is not a good thing, however... wouldn't that just be the perfect time to install a smaller supercharger pulley and an intercooler? Woohoo!

Turn that frown upside down!!

Lee

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter