2004 Grand Prix Stalling

My wife has a 2004 Grand Prix GT2 with the 3800 series III normally aspirated engine (approx. 23K miles). With increasing frequency, it has begun stalling immediately after being started (usually when motor has not been warmed up).

Also, and more troubling, it has twice completely stalled while my wife was driving the car (car was warmed up both times).

We have been to two dealers-----neither found any fault codes. The service advisor hooked up a data capture device to the car and drove it home, and he was able to reproduce the problem----they then diagnosed the fuel pump and replaced it---sounded like a reasonable diagnosis and cure to me.

However, we just tried to start the car and it did it AGAIN! Has anyone run into this problem or have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance JT

Reply to
JT

Has the battery been tested? If the battery is weak or failing, it may cause this as the computers these days need to see a consistant, good voltage in order to keep the vehicle running. Possibly the alternator also...

Reply to
Mike Levy

I have a 2004 GP, and on 4 different occasions, the car has hesitated and stalled. Then the engine restarts on the third try after the stall. I have brought it back to the dealer, and they found no fault codes, and there is no check engine light. I throw in dry gas about once every two weeks and fuel injection cleaner about once a month. The mileage is 12k. I don't know what is causing this?

Reply to
mrome816