Saab and auto shows

For the first time in a decade I went down to the Washington (DC) Auto Show this morning. I'm starting to wonder if I should consider replacing my old 900 with something a bit less long in the tooth, and figured that I would be able to talk to someone from Saab about the current models, and find out if Saab could convice me that it's resolved both the dismal problems with electronics (repeatedly discussed in this ng) and Saab's refusal to accept responsibility for fixing them (ditto).

Wrong.

There were a half-dozen Saabs on the floor of the new Convention Center, but that was about it:

  • No brochures about any of the models that potential customers could take home
  • A "bingo card" that you could mail in to get additional info was the *only* printed material available.
  • No information about the location (or even existence) of the two Saab dealers in the Washington area.
  • A desk, devoid of any Saab logo or other sign. The only reason to guess that it belonged to the Saab exhibit was that all other desks in the vicinity had other companies' logos splattered all over them.
  • One rent-a-salesdroid who appeared to be terminally bored, who had no badges on his coat to say that he was associated with Saab other than that he was sitting behind the logo-free desk. This clown insisted that Saab has no reputation for electrical design or reliability problems. There was a second droid who swapped the desk with the first, but the one not at the desk made no attempt to engage visitors to the exhibit in any conversation.

Question: is this typical of Saab's (non-)participation in auto shows, or is it part of a deliberate attempt by GM to run down Saab sales to the point that management can "justify" dropping the marque?

I think I'll stop in at the local BMW dealer tomorrow. At the show they had a nice X3 with exellent cargo space (a critical issue for me, and the reason that I bought my 900 in the first place) -- plus, the BMW people at the show acted like they gave a damn about their potential customers.

Joe Morris

Reply to
Joe Morris

[snip]

I plan on going to the Chicago Auto Show in mid-February. I will keep an eye out so I can answer your question. I heard from a Ford salesman that dealer staff are not attending the show as they did in past years. "Rent-a-salesdroids" (very funny, I'll have to remember that term) are scheduled to staff the show. From your description, it should make for a very uninformative event. Dealer staff always made sure there was full visibility of their dealerships, even if they were just going around handing out their business cards. The droids only tend to know what is in their script.

Did Saab show the BioEthanol 9-5 again this year? I'm waiting for them to bring one we can buy into North America. If the model arrives as I expect, it would be the only E-85 capable model with manual transmission available in North America.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

GM would never intentionally run down a brand - they can do it all to well just using their standard management techniques.

Have you seen Mr. CEO bitching lately that it's unfair to force them to raise CAFE standards because GM sells more trucks and SUV's proportionally and they are just building "what Americans want to buy". Then in the next breath they whine that it's easy for Japanese automakers to meet higher standards because they sell such a higher proportion of smaller, more fuel efficient cars. Hmm.... I suspect he skipped a logic course in college.

Well, I would not cut off your nose to spite your face... the fact that they don't know how to staff a trade show should not affect your decision on which care meets your needs. OTOH, if the X3 does what you want, then go for it.

Reply to
- Bob -

Saab has never staffed the car shows much. I remember when I first saw the Viggen in 99 and the guy there didn't know a dang thing about it other than it was fast and had a nice paint job. What is strange is I always see people looking at them a lot and the comments I hear are always positive.

Reply to
WitchDr