3800 Series II intake replacement

Had the fine opportunity to replace the intake on my 98' Bonneville this weekend. I put a Dorman aftermarket plenum on and found a garage that had the smaller EGR tube so there is an air gap between the tube and the plenum. Also but in a 180 degree thermostat. I replaced all the intake gaskets, which the garage I was talking with didn't think was needed. Sure glad I did as the lower intake manifold gaskets were starting to deteriorate and crack around the coolant ports. The biggest pain was replacing the fan belt. You have to pull the lower motor mount bolt. Ended up to be easiest from the wheel well after the tire was removed. What an engineering marvel....plastic parts, no torque to re-install and a major job to change a fan belt. Mr. Goodwrench should be proud.

Reply to
Kbach

Sounds like you done ok. The 180 will give you poor fuel economy so I suggest pulling it. With a small egr tube and a dorman intake the problem wont repeat itself. For the accessory belt all you got to do is put a block of wood on a jack and then lift up a little on the oil pan to take some weight off the mount then pull the bolt and fish the belt through. Not that tough. The lower intake gaskets will draw in around the cooling passages from the heat but I've never seen them deteriorate to nothing with dexcool. (How many miles was on yours?) Though once you pull the lower you cant re-use them and who would since its only 20-30 bucks for new ones. What do you mean by no torque to reinstall? The upper needs about 89 inch pounds torque working from the center out otherwise it may warp.

Bon·ne·ville

"Kbach" wrote

This must be tongue-in-cheek. The plastic parts are a major part of reliability problems, there are torque specifications for almost every bolt and nut on a car, yeah...the belt is a bitch, but it gets easier the more that you do.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I believe the motor mount blocking the belt has been eliminated on the

2000 & up models using the 3800.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,129 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

That is correct, Harry.

-- markwb