I did it !! 2002 Monte Carlo lower Intake Manifold Gasket replacement

I did it !! Finally finished replacing the lower intake manifold gasket.

Not an easy DIY job for the first time, especially on an engine I've never worked on before, but I can see how it would be pretty quick after doing two or three.

Thanks to

Mike Marlow for your helpful advice along the way... There were several places where your advice made the job a lot smoother... and I knew what to expect.

Steve W - purchased the tools from DenLors... the GM removal tool is a time saver !! Thanks for the tip for DS Engines.... their gasket is far superior to anything that I could have gotten from the dealer. The kit costs about 90. and included all necessary gaskets including cooling system "O" gaskets.

aarcuda69062 for the hints about using engine oil instead of silicone lube on the injector "O". ... Next time, I'll leave the fuel rails alone... didn't neet to be removed and just wasted a lot of time.

Silver Surfer for looking up the strut information.... nice to know.

and

Shep... for getting me started in the first place..." If no external leaks do the lower intakes, goin' need to at some point anyway"

Engine's back together again... road tested. Also replaced incidentals like spark plug, thermostat, radiator hoses, etc, etc.... hopefully won't have to go inside for another 100K.

It was fun, learned a lot and am very glad that for purchasing all the strange tools over the years.... some came in very handy.

Thanks again for your help and assistance guys... couldn't have done it without your advance and guidance.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Great job Peter. Glad it worked out well. My first one took me almost 8 hours and more than a couple of "new" words. Now I can do one in 3-4 hours. I imagine there are people who can do it in less. I know some guys don't take the rear valve cover off and that saves them time, but I do.

Anyway - congratulations. Always good to see a plan come together.

Reply to
Mike Marlow