67 firebird disk brake swap

My buddy just bought a clean original 67 firebird 326 for 5200. It has power drums. Is there a donor car that can provide disk brakes for the front?

Mark

Reply to
Mark C.

Your can put on the disk brake spindles from a 69 F, X, A, or G-body, which had regular GM single piston calipers that aren't expensive or unreliable or whatever. Depending on the car, some later years will work. The A bodies were revised in 73, and the X-body in 75. I guess the G-body will fit through 72 but not 73. The A and G are front steer, but the steering arm bolts on, so you just change that. The 67 itself came with disk brakes, but that's a 4-piston setup, and probably an example of paying a pile of money for something that's not any good.

I'm not going to lie to you, these later spindles that'll fit are in great demand, and they're not cheap, and I think you can get new ones. It might be better to go with aftermarket brakes, especially if he's interested in higher-performance brakes.

Reply to
Joe