'88 pontiac sunbird overdrive

I have a sunbird with a automatic overdrive transmission. when driving at highway speeds in overdrive apon comming to a stop the engine stalls. I've been told that the torque converter is not disengaging. When I disconnect the electrical plug that is located on the upperleft side of the bellhousing the stall problem disappears but I loose my overdrive. Is this an internal transmission problem or is it electrica, a switch or something. Thanx!

Reply to
cpca

I didn't think they put 4T40's in 88 sunbirds. Better look again. The device you speak of is a solenoid valve located in the side pan.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

It is the 4cyl model 2.2ltr I believe could you tell me where is this side pan you speak of? Do you know the price of the part?

Reply to
cpca

Reply to
Shep