'91 Bonneville

Hey all. Just a couple of quick questions here. I still have the '91 Bonneville SSE, and was wondering if I could get some people's advise on what I should have done to it. My transmission went last week, but I am getting another one put in this week. It is a used transmission, so should I be doing anything special to it? Adding certain fluids (other then standard trans fluid) or anything like that? I know a lot of people won't put used equipment in a car, but I know where it is coming from, and I know who is installing it, and he backs his parts and labor 100%, and is a fully qualified mechanic, so he knows what he's doing. Also, the cheapest rebuilder place I could find was anywhere from $1400 - $2000 and that is way out of my league. The tranny I am getting is going to cost $500, and includes taking the old one out, and having the new one installed (installer gets to keep old one, which is fine with me).

My basic question is what do people do to improve the '91 SSE's? I am not on a huge budget, but I would like to possibly upgrade the sound system and stuff like that. One thing I was told is that I can't put new speakers in the car because I would need 'cross-over's' and crap like that. If that is true, I am sure there is a way around that, as no one I know of has had problems with installing aftermarket speakers in cars with 8 speakers, like mine has. What other things would you recommend? I do oil changes every 5000 km's, fuel and air filters when it need's it, so I take pretty good care of it, but I am just looking for suggestions on improving the vehicle, as I will likely be keeping it for quite some time.

Last question is does anyone know where I could find a stock CD player that would go into a '91 Bonnie with the steering wheel controls? I am only able to find them on E-Bay, but they usually go damned fast.

Thanks everyone for any input you all have.

Reply to
80 Knight

I assume the mechanic installing the transmission will be changing / or flushing the fluid & changing filter.

The $500 price seems pretty fair. Any warranty with that?

Any ideas on the mileage on the used trans - and is it from another SSE? The axle ratio is different between the LE, SE and SSE. The SSE is

3.33:1

If you want to upgrade an 8 speaker stereo you must be going deef ! LOL.

You could try looking in a junkyard for a radio, try calling a few that are in the worst neighborhoods. Some of the junkyards in the bad neighborhoods in Chiacgo have the best cars, SSE's, Lincolns, Park Avenues, Caddys, etc..

Unfortunately you & I have a very low production car, so finding them in junkyards isn't that easy. I see more 87 - 89's in the junkyards and on the street.

I don't have the exact figures infront of me but 1991 production was around 44,000 total - 32,000 ( LE ), 7400 ( SE ) and 7000 (SSE ).

I actually " saw" a decent looking SE on Monday, very rare around here.

As always, Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,704 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

No idea on that one yet. I am guessing at $500 Canadian I will probably have to do it myself :-P

We have been dealing with this person for probably 8 or so years now. If I have any problems with it, he will look at it and if it is a problem with his transmission, or caused by him putting it in, he will repair it. If it is something new to happen to the car, he still gives me great deals.

I would have to say there is a 99.9% chance it is from an SSE. As for mileage, if I know the installer, he wouldn't put anything in my car with more then 100,000KM's on it, which is fine with me.

:-P

The place where I am getting the tranny put in has around 5 SSE's out there as a 'U-Pull', but they are all the damned tape decks! lol

I know what you mean. I can go out to any of the 3 closest yards to myself (each within 20 mins of driving) and it would take hours to count a car such as a Cavalier (obviously) or even Grand Prix's most of the time, but I can count the number of Bonnie's using just one hand.

Wow. That's it? Were they not too popular, or just out of most people's price range back then? I know they were damned expensive cars, if bought brand new.

Mine is in relitivly good shape. The only visible rust spot is on the passanger side rear door, but other then that it is a nice looking car. There is also an '89 or so SSE around town who visits people accross the street from me which is in pretty good shape as well. He has his all fixed up, but he lowered the damned thing! :-(

Thank you for the info Harryface!!

Reply to
80 Knight

The reason 91 production was so low was that was the last year for that body style. People were waiting for the new bodied 1992 ( I'm glad I didn't wait for 92 ).

1992 production totals reached about 141,000.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~299, 134 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

I don't mind the '92 and up too much, but I usually prefer the '87-91's.

Reply to
80 Knight