91 sunbird check engine light

I have a 91 pontiac sunbird 2.0 - 4 cylinder. I was driving down the highway when the check engine light came on. I used a jumper wire and had a code 12
come up. Can anyone tell me what that code means or where I can get code information

Code 12 is the standard code, telling you that you are performing the code retrieval procedure correctly. Code 12 (1 long flash, followed by 2 shorter flashes) will be displayed 3 times, then the car will display any other codes 3 times, and it will return to Code 12 when it's done. If all you are getting is Code 12, there isn't a code stored.
Here is a link that may help: http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-97.htm