92 - 95 Bonneville Info

I have a '92 SE that I always thought looked like it wasn't finished, because it didn't have a rear spoiler. It has all the other body trim - front, sides, but no rear spoiler. Well, now I have a spoiler that came off an SSE. The bottom of it is molded to fit the curve of the trunk exactly, but I'm a little hesitant to start drilling just yet. I need to know where to place it so that it matches the curves of the trunk lid. It has a bunch of screws sticking out the bottom, so I can't just set it on there, and 'feel' for the right location. So, I need someone with a 92-95 Bonnie with a factory rear spoiler to measure their trunk lid, and tell me exactly where the spoiler sits on the trunk lid. Can someone help me out, please?

Thanks!

JK

Reply to
Jknomail

Spoilers were add on options for SE's. I got a 92 SSE but I dont think I could tell you where to drill. You might be better off going to a junk yard and pulling the entire trunk lid that matches your cars color and that has a spoiler already attatched. Most Bonnevilles I've seen at the junk yard only have front end damage namely because the brakes were obviously bad and werent kept in check. If nothing else you could at least take measurements off the one at the junk yard. You can get a much better feel where it goes that way at least.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

You may be able to get a template from GM. Its a paper blue print you tape to the trunklid then drill the holes. I got one when i bought a spoiler for a Z -24

Taking measurement off a junk yard dog is another option...You could even make a template at the junk yard. Bring some poster board and a

1/4 " hole puncher.

Don't forget to coat the drill holes with paint or some kind of rust preventative material to avoid rust.

It is also important to make sure all the holes seal when you tighten down the spoiler. AVOID OVER TIGHTENING!!

The threaded studs can spin in the fiberglass bores.

I'm not familiar with the bolt pattern of the 92 - 95. If the bolt holes are on the outside ( like 87 -91 ) of the water channel then you don't have to worry about getting water in the trunk, but if there are holes directly over the trunk opening they need to be sealed. Hope you got gaskets from the spoiler off the SSE.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Would the template from GM show the placement - front to back - of the spoiler? That would make it real easy!

I can make my own template off the bolt pattern on the spoiler, I just need to kow how far up or down on the trunk lid the spoiler sits. The back of the trunk lid is sort of rounded, and the bottom surface of the spoiler is molded to fit it. Too far forward or back, and there will be either a gap underneath, or an overhang on the back.

If I could just get a measurement from the bottom edge of the trunk to the bottom edge of the spoiler, or from the top edge of the trunk to the front edge of the spoiler, I could take it from there.

I just went to Home Depot, and got some silicone sealer to seal the holes on top, between the trunk lid and the spoiler, and some sealing washers and nuts with nylon inserts for the bottom, so leaks shouldn't be a problem.

I've been watching the junkyard, but I haven't seen any Bonnevilles there to get this measurement from.

Thanks again for the advice!

Jack

Reply to
Jknomail

Another idea might be to ask a Pontiac dealer if you could take measurements off one they have sitting on the lot. Even a Pontiac Body shop may have a wreck sitting somewhere on the property.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I have a 93 SE with a rear spoiler. I looked at the underside of my trunk lid. It looks to me the trunk lid was manufactured with the access holes to drill through the rear deck. If yours does not let me know and I will make what ever measurements you may need.

Jim

Reply to
JWheeler

I found that, too, and the holes in the bracing, etc match the bolt pattern on the bottom of the spoiler. I was able to follow the holes, and put the spoiler on with no problems. Looks cool! Thanks guys, for the advice!

Jack

Reply to
Jknomail