92 Grand AM Quad Four, Mysterious bigtime intermittent oil leak. Anyone seen this before?

Curious; the car has 80,000Mi, has worked well, then suddenly in a sinle 50Mi Commute, lost 3 QTs of oil. When refilled, no apparent leak on the ground next morning, and on next commute only lost about 1/8" on the dip stick. I've heard Quad fours were prone to head gasket problems ( aluminum heads ) or is there someting else or a nother legend I haven't heard. Concerned that it could startup any time, hate to loose an engine on the freeway. =(

TIA for any tips.

--

Reply to
Screwloose

My brother had one....everything went out the tailpipe.

Reply to
Mark Keeling