92 Grand Am quad 4 timing chain noise

Hello. Does anyone know what kind of cost (parts/avg. man hours) I may be looking at to get my timing chain replaced? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

I had mine done not very long ago. Keep in mind I have a DOHC. I'm not sure if SOHC is much cheaper if you have that engine. It's probably about the same. I took mine to a very trusted mechanic/engine rebuild shop, which only charged about $55/hour labor. It was around $400. (parts = $150) If you take it to a dealer or somewhere like a big chain that charges $70-$80-$90 per hour labor, it will be much more. I'd shop around, and expect to pay in the range of $500 - $600, and don't wait too long. It only has to jump two teeth before things get really ugly, really quick.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Ahhh memories. I once was paid to put one of those SOHC (2.3?) back together after the mechanic that took it apart quit. I think I got $150 or $200 for that. Learned a lot too. The Haynes manual tries very hard to pretend that SOHC engine didn't exist. Boy are those pages dirty still. Removal of engine mounts, and the right front tire is involved IIRC. GW

"T> I had mine done not very long ago. Keep in mind I have a DOHC. I'm not

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Reply to
Sevan Karanovich