94 3.1 Oil pump drive seal question

Ok, I might not have the right name for it. But just under the throttle body is that nice little cap, with that nice little hold down, with that nice little bolt, that likes to leak nicely now and then. It's the same place the distributer would have been a few years ago..

On my 94 Grand Prix, I have this terrible feeling that dirty bastard is starting to leak. I can see fresh oil around that area running down the block, thus stinking up my ventalation when I'm driving. My question is, what's the best way to get to that bastard? I've replaced it on the older

2.8 and older 3.1's (with MPFI) but not on this model engine. Can I just pull the throttle body, and thermostate housing to replace the seal? Or do I have to remove the entire intake manifold? Has anyone done this one yet?

Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
clevere

"clevere" wrote

Plenty of them, but usually I already have the lower intake off and just do the oil pump drive o-ring as a matter of course. But yes, you are correct....you can just remove the throttle body and you should be able to get at it. Often, if the o-ring has hardened, it can be difficult to pull out. If you can get it up just a bit, slide the tip of a small blade screwdriver under the rim of the oil pump drive and pry it while lifting up on the drive with something like a pair of slip jaw pliers (water pump pliers, may be other names for it).

If you get the latest tan/brown colored o-ring from GM, it will stay pliable forever and you shouldn't have that leaking problem again. At least from that location.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks Ian. If I end up keeping the car (she's up for sale right now) I'm going to undertake the process. Until then ... ugh.. Thanks!

Reply to
clevere