96 Bonneville SSE Loss of power

I'm trying to troubleshoot my aged in-laws car problem from 300 miles away, any help would be appreciated.

As reported by mother in law and father in law the car will lose power while driving down the road. It starts right up after pulling over and stopping but after a very short while loses power again.

My father in law says that when he got it home, he couldn't get it to rev over 2000 no matter how much gas he gave it. The exhaust also smelled terrible. Being in their 70s they immediately had the shop come and get it. Of course the shop can still find no problems after a week of having it.

Any guesses? Because of the seemingly temporary nature of the problem I suspect it might be a batch of bad gas but being so far away I have no way to test my guess.

thanx, Don

Reply to
HonDon7

news