'97 Bonneville coolant leak

I have a coolant leak on my '97 Bonneville (no supercharger) but I'm not sure where. There is a spray pattern from the accessory drive belt on the underside on the hood. The engine mount brackets behind and below the water pump are wet, as well as the front and back of the ignition control module. It didn't leak onto the garage floor overnight, and it didn't leak when I observed the car running for a few minutes (the car was warm at the time).

Is there a hose hidden somewhere that I can check before replacing the water pump (there was a little dinky one in that area on my '91 Ciera)? Is there something I can do to help identify the leak?

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Hodsdon

There is a hose under the alternator connecting the pump to the intake manifold. It has a "plastic" hose nipple threaded into the manifold. These nipples often crack and leak. The hose can also deteriorate, but the fact it does not leak onto the garage floor overnight points me to a bad water pump seal.

Reply to
clare

your water pump is bad. It has what is called a weep hole on the underside of the pump to let you know it's bad before it goes out completely.

Reply to
gooch

Thank you much.

Joe

of the pump to let you know it's bad before it goes out completely.

Reply to
Joe Hodsdon

How much longer could it last?

of the pump to let you know it's bad before it goes out completely.

Reply to
JonH