1988 Bonneville still not starting

OK, I've replaced the coil pack, checked the fuel pressure(42 psi), unplugged the camshaft sensor and tried to start it(didn't start), and still it doesn't start up. I don't have spark to any plug. Do I have the ckp (crankshaft sensor), computer, and ignition control module left to check? I don't know how to hook up a vom to the sensor to check it. Also, the engine seems to turn over slower than normal when trying to start. Battery seems fine. Help, I need to get this running today so my kid can get to college tomorrow. Gary H. Vancouver, Wa.

Reply to
GaryH

the camshaft sensor and tried to start it(didn't start), and still it doesn't start up. I don't have spark to any plug. Do I have the ckp (crankshaft sensor), computer, and ignition control module left to check? I don't know how to hook up a vom to the sensor to check it. Also, the engine seems to turn over slower than normal when trying to start. Battery seems fine. Help, I need to get this running today so my kid can get to college tomorrow. Gary H. Vancouver, Wa. Connect VOM to crank sensor - set to lowest AC voltage scale and crank. You should get an AC reading. If not, the sensor is most likely TOAST.

Reply to
clare

did you have the ignition module checked? Nine times out of ten when you don't have spark that is what it is.

Reply to
gooch

the camshaft sensor and tried to start it(didn't start), and still it doesn't start up. I don't have spark to any plug. Do I have the ckp (crankshaft sensor), computer, and ignition control module left to check? I don't know how to hook up a vom to the sensor to check it. Also, the engine seems to turn over slower than normal when trying to start. Battery seems fine. Help, I need to get this running today so my kid can get to college tomorrow. Gary H. Vancouver, Wa.

Probable bad crank sensor. I have rarely seen one last since 1988.

10-12 years seems to be about their lifespan. As clare said, put an a/c vom on it and see if it generates a signal.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

How do I hook up the vom??? From underneath the car and test the leads from the computer? Or do I take the sensor off of the car, connect back up to the leads and then test it? I just don't understand how to physically connect the meter? Thanks, Gary H.

Reply to
GaryH

the computer? Or do I take the sensor off of the car, connect back up to the leads and then test it? I just don't understand how to physically connect the meter? Thanks, Gary H.

IIRC, the crank sensor on that year engine is the inductive type. If so, it will generate a sine wave of 1-3v pp. If it is a Hall type it will require a 5v reference and generate a square wave. In either case, the output voltage should be detectable with a vom, although a scope would be better. If it is inductive, then unplug the plug and attach your vom there. Check for resistance... I forgot what it should be though. Then crank engine. If it is Hall, you will need to either make a jumper (prefered) or tap into the wires or plug on the output side. You will be able to determine the output side since it will not have a 5v ref.

It is rather difficult to take the sensor off the car and it is rather touchy to put back on. Find the plug.

=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=