97 grand prix stalling problem

This problem is very very strange. Every once in a while it stalls, just out of the blue. Could be going down the highway doing 75,..stalls out...or just idling and it will just die. 99 percent of the time it starts right back up and runs great. Happened yesterday and it took 10 minutes to start. Then today it would run for a second and die,..then finally it stayed running. Its also very random...as in its gone a month or 2 and ran perfect. Last month she had a service engine light come on,...I thought finally a code! now I can fix this problem. So at this point it was running rough all the time and stalling more frequent it seemed....so I brought it up to a buddy and he read it with a snap on scanner. It gave a MAF sensor failure. So off I go on the hunt for a new one,...yah,...200 bucks and its special order 10 days away. So figuring its bad anyways I pull it. Bring it down the shop under a magnifier and shure enough the element is covered in crude. So I was very careful and sprayed a non-residue circuit cleaner,..and got it bright and shiny and put it back in. Light went away instantly car was running like a champ! Still have my stalling problem and no codes,.... Its a good running car but she isnt putting up with it anymore. Its a 97 pontiac grand prix with a 3.8liter. It is not supercharged and is a series I engine with 1 coil per 2 cyclinders. It has 135k on it and if I dont fix it then I will need a more comfortable couch,...fast! because my gf will kick my butt out. Any light that can be shed on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
deadzone
  1. MAF sensors take poorly to cleaning. You may have damaged the sensor.
  2. If the lamp went out immediately, it's only because it was cleared. OBDII cars require 3 consecutive test passes to turn the lamp out and the code remains for much longer.
  3. I'd suspect the crank sensor. Especially if the problem happens when hot.
Reply to
hyundaitech

This sounds very similiar to the problem I had on my 2000 GP with a 3.8 L engine. The trouble was finally resolved by replacing the crankshaft position sensor.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Hardy