97 Sunbird Ingition Lock Froze

My daughter has a 97 sunfire and the steering collum ignition switch won't turn.

we tried rocking on the steering wheel and shift lever while tring to turn the key but no luck.

can this thiing be broken out....like when a car is stolen?

any ideas....i can't find anything on line that gives me any info on removing the cly or switch

her car is stuck at school and I have to move it today

Thanks Bob

Reply to
bob

i think if you take the plastic off thats around he steering colum ,there is a tang on the rear/front part of the lock you push in with a tiny screwdriver and the lock tumbler comes right out. if youve been haveing trouble with the key for a while, like haveing to line it up just right to get it to work, you may get by by making a new key, you can take the vin number to the dealer to get the key code, then take the code to a good locksmith to get a new key made. ive fixed a few this way. lucas

ds549