97 Ignition Lock/ Removal..need help quick!!!

97 Maxima Broke my one key this morning. Tried to solder it back together to get the store and get a copy. I soldered with success and it worked in the door but would not turn the igniton. (And I have to get to work)

Eventually, I BROKE the key half off in the ignition. (DAMN!!!!)

SO I removed all the plastic covers and was able to remove the electrical igntion switch. Presto, I started the car. I thought great..I am on my way.

Oh but wait, there's more......

I forgot about the steering wheel lock.

IS THERE any way to remove the key barel? with out turning the key or with out drilling out the large rivets that hold the whole assembly to the steering tube??????

Please help, If I could get the car moving/drivable, I could get to the dealer to remove the broken peice.. or If I could get it out, I;d get to a store and get a copy.

It does not help that I do not have the KEY I.D. (there is a 4 digit number on the ignition light ring, is this my key ID???????)

Reply to
driver

I forgot to mention,

I cannot get to work untill this problem is solved.

Thanks in advance to anyone helps... Much Thanks!

--STeve

Reply to
driver

On many car lines, the dealer (or any legit locksmith) can look up the key code from the VIN. You might try calling a dealer and see if they can do it for yours. If they can, they can make you a key. Some of them are even nice enough that they might bring it to you if their courtesy van is cruising your area anyway. Failing that, there are taxi cabs.

Is any of the broken key protrud> I forgot to mention,

They are not rivets, they are shear-bolts, and no. It is intentional that they have to be destroyed to get it out (car theft thing).

Reply to
E. Meyer

Reply to
E. Meyer

Looks like its gonna be about a $120 locksmith job.

about half of the teethed portion of key is stuck in there. I cannot even see it with a flash light. If the lock smith is to come here, its 85 for a new key, IF he can get it out and it copiable. 115 if he has to take the assy. off (steering cloumn apart).

tLy6d.1728592$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com,

Reply to
driver

Well good news,

THe Nissan dealer has the vin nuber and can cut a key for. Nice! $7

Too f..kn bad I broke that peice in there. If I can get that had. I'm set!

guess I should have called the dealer first.....should coulda... right...(I was jst so steamin' this mornin')

Reply to
driver

Just pay the locksmith, and call it a lesson learned. (IF you have the bucks to do it) I do computer work and it's LESS than that for me to come to your house for comp. service!. I must be in the wrong business!!!

But really, now that you have a key, (you did get one from the dealer ...right?) you just need to get the old piece of the key out, correct? I would try the other guys suggestion, and try to superglue something to the piece and pull it out. (BE CAREFUL you don't want to superglue something into your ignition lock!!) or if it is ferrous metal (can be picked-up by a magnet) try one of those super strong magnets to get it out. Also maybe hemostats? (I must have 5 pairs of those things, they come in real handy doing comp.work, or anything else that requires something smaller than fingers or needle nose pliers), in fact I could not get along without them, and they are cheap! you can always find them at computer shows, gun shows, tool stores, etc. They come in all shapes and sizes. You might try that....

I am like you in that I'd be damned dead and determined to get it out myself, to try and avoid a locksmith call, if I could. Good luck with what ever you decide,

2maximas.

Reply to
Bitsbucket

THanks Bits.

Problem is, its such a small peice thats in there and its in deep. Argghh!!!!

Its about 3/8" of the tip. And I think its getting caught on the cams on the lock. Ya know, most keys are brass. (non magnetic). And the hemostats are to big.....

Oh well. I did go get the key from the dealer..(I drove my '74 VW Bus but prefer not to comute with it, plus I have to take care of this)

Well, I guess I missd worked today

Reply to
driver

Luckily, it only cost me $80 from the locksmith. He was here in about 30 mins. after I called and had that little peice out in minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions eveyrone. ANd thanks for a.a.n.m. (I forgot to tip the guy, after all, he taught me a trick about removing the assy. I think i'll mail it to his shop.)

Reply to
driver