98 GTP Temp Fluctuation

Just had the radiator flushed and filled at a local shop. Replaced the tstat myself a few days earlier. Now I notice that the temperature will slowly rise and fall between about 175 and 200. I swear before the temp guage would just sit at about 190 and stay there. Anything I should look for, or is this normal and I never noticed it before?

Thanks,

---Matt Chicago, IL

Reply to
Matt Mayer

"Matt Mayer" wrote

There may be some air in the cooling system.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Air in the system. You should have a bleeder valve on top of the water neck. Keep your overflow bottle filled to hot mark as well.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Air in the system. Get it out before the cooling system rots.

Reply to
Pyats

Thanks guys. That;s what I thought, but I figured I would ask the experts. Now the next question, bleed it hot or cold? Or does the car just need to be running so there is pressure in the system?

Thanks again,

---Matt Chicago, Il

Reply to
Matt Mayer

I believe that you want to bleed the coolant while engine is hot & running. The thermostat should be open. The heat set on maximum also. The car should be on level ground also.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

How long do you leave the hot engine running without coolant?

Reply to
Pyats

You're not running the engine without coolant at this point. The cooling system should be filled to normal capacity. The object of bleeding is to vent air out of the system so that the cooling system is solid. the vent path is usually at the high point in the coolant loop. The thermostat should be open to ensure complete flow through eng, rad & htr core.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

"Matt Mayer" wrote

At this point, all you probably need to do is to check the level in the radiator when the engine is cold. Top up the radiator with the engine off. Make sure you have the overflow bottle filled up to "hot" level even though the engine is cold. Take it for a drive...see how the temp gauge responds....let it cool down. Then recheck the level in the radiator and the overflow. It never harms the cooling system to run the overflow bottle at a higher level then the marks specify.

It should suck in any remaining coolant that it needs on the cool down cycle. If not, you may need to replace the radiator cap.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks all for the tips. I'll work on it tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Reply to
Matt Mayer

Tired bleeding it twice (once at work, once at home.) Opened the screw on the Thermostat housing and got DexCool right away both times. No Air. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
Matt Mayer

The trapped air that was mentioned is no doubt someplace within the cooling system, not in the thermostat housing.

Good Luck.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~273,777 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face