98 Sunfire GT catalytic converter plugged

Wondering if anyone knows how not to spend $500 on a new direct fit catalytic converter on a 98 sunfire GT (2.4L). Mine plugged up while driving on the highway (car would not rev over 1000rpm). Luckily had a cordless drill with me so drilled some holes and got myself back to civilization. Ran fine (but loud) with exhaust coming out the holes just before the converter but now intermittently sputters and dies I assume because the rear O2 sensor is not getting enough exhaust. Dealer and muffler shop say to buy the direct fit replacement cause the universal fit causes problems eg: engine light on and high gas consumption. I would like to know if it is possible to disconnect the rear O2 sensor and place a constant voltage on the wires to fool the computer??? Not really wanting to spend money on the car as it has seen better days. Maybe buy a used one from a wrecker...but may buy what I already have. thanks for any suggestions

Reply to
socialsludge