99 sunfire inner tierod ends

can someone tell me how they are replaced? haynes manual doesn't explain it and id rather not take it to a garage, or take it apart in the driveway without atleast a small idea of what im doing

Reply to
M.C. Tee

You need to pop the outer tie rod ends out of the steering arms, remove the boots from the end of the rack, and then remove the inner joints from the rack. Some have a crimp plate, and I've seen some with a roll pin to lock the joint to the rack. When unlocked, you turn them out like a bolt.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

sounds simple enough, ill pick up a couple tommorow and see where it goes

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Are you going to do the wheel alignment on your driveway too?

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 302,016 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

All you need to worry about is the toe-in - and that can easily be done on the driveway. If you count the turns accurately when removing the inner ends from the sleaves, you don't even need to change anything, as it will go back together EXACTLY the way it came apart.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

exactly, im going to mark before i move anything, then count, should beable to keep it close enough until i get to an alignment shop

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Just helped a buddy today at noon - had put new tie rod end and axle bearings in his daughter-in-law's Geo. we clamped a piece of angle to each rotor and measured front and back with tape measure at the distance from center that corresponded to the "curb bumper" portion of the tire, and set it to less than 1/16 inch toe out. Original setting (lock nut not moved) was out by almost 1/8 inch.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce