99 Sunfire sunroof won't open/close

Just acquired a 1999 Pontiac sunfire GT with 113k. It seems to be in good shape and was well taken care of. Vendor said that sometimes sunroof stays open once opened. The wife just had to try it and now the sunroof is 95% closed, approximately at the point where it has finished sliding forward and is starting to come down on the seals, but now only moves about 1/8" either up or down when the switch is operated. I have tried "helping it along" by tugging on the window as the switch is operated and have tried banging around the frame of the sunroof in hopes of convinving it to move, to no avail. It does not sound as though the window is stuck as the motor does not seem to be doing any nore than a short blip when the switch is operated. Perhaps an interlock? bad motor brushes?

I have ordered a Haynes manual but it won't be in for a few days so am checking for any tips before I go removing the headliner to get at the motor.

TIA,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Tomchuk