could this be a spark wire problem?

Been having a bit of a problem. My 99 Sunfire seems to miss a bit with the criuse on and not so much on a up hill, but more when I am going down hill or on the straight away. Its not a jerking miss, but I can still tell it is there. I have changed spark plugs a few months ago, but was wondering if this could spark plug wire time. Anything some one could suggest. Not sure if the timing belt could be the problem as well. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Barry

Spark plug wires could be the problem. My experience is they will most likely cause a miss under a load, or uphill. Have the wires been replaced before? My thinking is the wires aren't very expensive, so you could "rule them out" as a problem by replacing them. Gary

Reply to
GARY

To me it sounds like you have a spark that sometimes comes too early. I've driven a Toyota where 2 cylinders would sometimes stop working (bent valves) and that went without jerking. What happens if you fill up with a higher octane fuel? A problem with the timing belt would give problems at all times, so I would not worry about that (yet). Did you use the recommended spark plugs?

Do you have a automatic or manual? In case you have a manual, shift one gear down and see if it goes away, meaning you use the high gears too soon (lugging).

Reply to
Baudolino

I am not sure if I did use the recommended spark plugs. I bought them at Walmart and they weren't very expensive. I know the last set was a lot more. Is there a better set for the 2.2 L engine? I have tried the higher octane fuel and it didn't seem to make a difference. My car is an auto.

Reply to
Barry