Dead 96 Grand Am

I haven't touched the car yet so I'm scant on a lot of the details. My daughter states:

Ran good this morning until she hit a pothole full of water. Apparently drenched right side of vehicle. Then she noticed the dash ABS light was on. Over the next 15 minutes, more lights came on (SIR, Temp, etc.) and the car starting running roughly. As she got to work most of the dash lights were blinking. States never overheated (she killed a Sundance so she watches the gauges carefully :) ) Car is now inop, illumination and radio work. I suspect that with the nearly 2" of rain last night and this morning, she pretty much soaked the engine compartment as well as the right side.

I hope to visit the car Tuesday evening and am looking for suggestions. I'm thinking the main powertrain wiring got drenched and "shorted" out, perhaps at the bulkhead connections. Is the computer underhood or in the passenger compartment on this car? Should I shoot it??!

Thanks for your time.

Tom Richardson

Reply to
Tom Richardson

Let it dry first. Wonder if 2 inches of rain will kill a car, I've driven in far worse. I would like to see the pothole, don't know your daughter, but just make sure it wasn't a few feet deep.

Reply to
Baudolino

Salute it after.

Reply to
kato

Thanks to all who offered opinions and advice. Work schedule prevented a visit until Saturday. The alternator was tested and the only thing it was good for was a pulley. Transplant went well and daughter was elated that her car came back to life on her birthday! -Tom

Reply to
Tom Richardson