Engine Problems

Hello,

I have a 2001 Pontiac GrandAM GT, and there appears to be a serious problem with it. It started the other day; when I went to start the car, it kept stalling; so I checked and the battery was dead. After replacing it with one of the same line (75 series), it worked fine. I made my regular trips (around 160 miles roundtrip), stopped frequently, etc without incident. After coming home, I went to start it a few hours later, and everything had completely died. There were no interior lights; no horn; no external lights; and when I turned the key in the ignition, there was no sound at all. After checking the battery, it registered as being good with no charging problems. I was wondering if anyone here knew what the problem might be, and how to resolve it? I'd like to get some idea of what to expect if I have to call for it to be towed to my local automotive center.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Pelagius

Shep

There are only a few things that can kill a battery like that. The Horn and the Starter both draw tons of current. go have your starter checked then if it is ok disconnect the horn. charge the battery in between each of these. Most likely it is the starter.

I assume you ran a volt meter on the battery when the engine is running. I assume you got something like 13.8 volts. If the voltage is low something is shorting the circuit or the alternator is toast. If you keep running like this the alternator will eventually burn up/

Reply to
L benn

It may be of no importance,but have you checked the most obvious cause IE: the Fuses, yes many a problem has its origin's in the fuse box.Seems obvious, but many overlook it!

Reply to
coco

How about the terminals..this being a time of seasonal change you may have had corroded leads and when you installed that new battery there was leftover corrosion...scrape and wire brush those leads and tighten firmly..

Reply to
Marvel