Fan only works on highest and one below

I have an Alero, which is a pretty cheap car, and I now have a problem with the interior fan for heating and a/c.

Seems as though the blower will only work on the 4th and 5th position, but not on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd?

I thought at first a fuse, checked out under the hood. What the heck are those big square fuses, anyhow? They are like 3/4" square around maybe?

But, logic dictates that the blower fan is on one fuse, not more than one.

The car is still under warranty, but why pay $50 if it is something I can fix for under that?

Oh, and the Goodyears that came with it barely lasted 30k miles. Ef the blimp.

TIA

Reply to
ng_reader

The resistor card controlling your fan speed is gone. Not sure where you are but I just replaced the one in my Grand Am 2 weeks ago for ~$26 Can. and about 3/4 hr of my time.

HTH

Ed

Reply to
M1072

It does, it does. Lower 48, but that doesn't make any difference.

Quick google suggests you're right, of course. Sounds as though this is not a Pep Boys/AutoZone type part. More of a NAPA part. Could be wrong.

And, 45 minutes of my time is free. 45 minutes of a mechanics time is likely past any deductible from GM.

I will search for the part next daylight. But, my concern is I go and make something worse by trying to fix it myself.

Thanks again friendly Internet user.

Reply to
ng_reader

As another person who has an Alero (in my case a 2003), that also has the three lower fan settings not working, I agree that it probably is the resistor.

The repair manual doesn't seem to think it is a really tough job, but one thing it does do is remind you to disconnect the airbag sensors to do the job.

This seems to be another one of those "GM-ism's" that, on the face of things are not as serious as an engine or transmission, but sure get annoying.

Replacing both of the front wheel bearing / hub assemblies has been another annoyance.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt