2000 Cherokee fan motor only works on high?

I have a 2000 Cherokee and over the winter the fan motor stopped working on settings 1, 2 and 3 but works on 4. The winters are cold up where I live so this was not a big problem, but I would be curious to see if anyone has seen this problem.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
gpallott

Yes, it is a fairly common failure of the resistor pack. The pack is locate at the bottom of the heater box in the passenger footwell under a plastic cover. Remove the cover with one or maybe two bolts and you can change the pack.

If this resistor goes again it means the fan motor is worn out. When they get old they can draw too many amps and overheat things.

I hear there is a thermal fuse on some of the resistor packs that goes. If you are handy with electronics and a soldering station, you might want to just change out the one component part if that is all that has popped. I would try this but I have lots of time on my hands.

Mike

gpallott wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

thanks for the info, I will take a look at that this weekend.

Greg

Reply to
gpallott

Do not solder a thermal fuse - you will blow it immediately with the heat. They are always crimped, and usually easy to find and change (Try Tandy/radio shack type places).

Reply to
Danny

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III