"FK" Rear end for 68 GTO? Any Good?

I need to change out the rear end on my 68 GTO and I ran across a 69 GM 10 bolt posi rear end with a "FK" code number. It looks like it's a 3.08 ratio. Is this a good rear end, or is it one of the "light duty" ones that I should stay away from? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Keith Stelter

While the 12 bolt has hte better reputation, I have had a 10 bolt in my GTO for 37 years now, with only 1 broken axle shaft to show for it. Note this is not any part in the 'punkin', just the axle shaft, and they're not any beefier in the 12 bolt (at least as far as I can tell!) If you want to run this 3.08 on the street, go for it!

Reply to
Joseph Roche

Thanks! The motor is just the stock 400 with a Holley carb, VERY mild cam, and headers. It's NOT a race car, and it will NEVER have slicks on it.

Reply to
Keith Stelter

You didn't specify whether it was a Chevy C-clip axle or another Pontiac. Personally, I think the Chevy from the 60's is pretty light duty, and it's a much cheaper design, but it'll probably serve you. If I were you I'd insist on a Pontiac axle, but that's just me. Maybe that's what you meant, I couldn't tell.

Reply to
Joe