For those new to posting

Be sure not to use your real email address when posting to a newsgroup, I made my first post 2 days ago and I have already received 7 virus emails. Luckily all were contained, but just be careful. I sure did learn my lesson, the email address I used was one I don't get any junk to so this is a bit disappointing.

Good luck with your questions!

-Tom

Reply to
tom bohan

Two ways to get around spammers harvesting your e-mail addy. Get a throw away account at Yahoo or Hotmail. Or you can "Munge" you addy. If your addy is snipped-for-privacy@sppedy.com, have it appear like snipped-for-privacy@spamspeedy.com. A combination of the two works best. That way you can get a message if someone goes to a little trouble.

Reply to
FBR

Unfortunately, your main RR acount uses your real name and real addy. That is not good. NEVER use your main acct. Fortunately, RR allows creation of several sub-accts. Use a sub-acct and then munge that addy.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Actually you can put what ever email addy you want in with roadrunner. I dont use outlook (pick up to many viruses that way with its html crap.) I use mircoplanet gravity.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Yes, I would think there would be a way but I have not been able to change mine and when I called RR they said I am stuck with it and to create a sub-acct. (Outlook is not allowed on my machines either.)

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Great idea about putting SPAM in front of your email! I hadn't thought of that. I have a hotmail account that I use when registering for shady sites but I don't check it often enough to give it to people. Its as likely to get blocked because I'm over my space limit as it is to get read. I'm not too concerned with a little spam anyways, if it bothers me enough I'll turn back on a spam filter I have but I was more concerned for others that would be posting here. I didn't expect to get as many virus emails as I did in such a short time and it's always a good idea to give people a heads up for that.

tom bohan

Is there any easy way to disable HTML in outlook? I have the preview pane off so I don't pick up any nasty virus, and so I don't have to look at explicit pictures but it would be nice to have it on and just the HTML code off until I certify it safe. I stick with the M$ suite because it is easy to sync with my Pocket PC.

Reply to
tom bohan

For outlook express on my pc you goto tools > options > read then check "read all messages in plain text"

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

You can find a DECENT ISP with excellent filtering (mine) and use a good Antivirus backed up with a FIREWALL for hackers. One suggestion I hear would be Mailwasher but mind you it's not free anymore those those I hear in other groups (there are a few) swear by it. Note: I'm not using it because I got good S*** already and it wuz CHEEP.

I got 3296 segregated virus/spam messages last month. No virus gets to me and the spam that does gets sent to the ISP filter.

If ISP's really cared 70% of this stuff would be stopped and heads would be cut off. Caveat Emptor.

Steven 1985 6000 base 4cyl.

Steven Dinius