I have to speak my mind

What the hell has happened to this newsgroup?

We have a zillion responses to one SPAM ad that end up in a bunch of immature name calling and other crap.

We have people calling another person's jeep a "load of shit". (No class whatsoever. If someone is happy with their own vehicle, what gives anyone the right to call it a POS?)

We have a bunch of cynical responses to posts that seem to be a legitimate help questions. (Very productive, NOT.)

We have people giving people shit about not using their "real" email address when they post here. (And so what? I don't either. I never will. If anyone ever wants my email, all they have to do is ask.)

I really don't think that true jeepers would treat fellow jeepers and off roaders this way, would they? I have received much help and advice from the people here, as well as given advice when I could, but lately there hasn't been much in the way of productive posts. What I mostly see is a bunch of adults not acting like adults. Sorry to see this NG go to the crapper, although it seems to be a cyclic thing. C'mon guys and gals, lets knock off all the bashing and get this NG back to the way it should be.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Bill, you missed the point. Nowhere did I say that spamming the newsgroup was ok, and yes I have read the charter for this NG several times. What bothers me is that one single spammer posting here erupted into people jumping all over each other. Wouldn't it be much simpler to have the people that read this NG just forward the spam to the offender's ISP and leave it at that? No one really even needs to post here that they forwarded it, just do it. This would avoid the name calling and other crap, as well as get the spammer's account suspended. This way the problem is solved with regard to the spammer and there isn't all the excess bullshit name calling and such. With regards to the top, I really don't like it either, but that really isn't the point here. My point is, most of the people here are very helpful and enjoyable to read. Why don't we keep it that way rather than piss everyone off to the point of ruining the newsgroup? Some of you guys that post here have extensive knowledge of Jeeps, and it is very beneficial to those of us who don't. I consider myself to have above average mechanical skills, and I still get some great advice here with regards to Jeeps. Let's please make an effort to keep it that way rather than resort to the negative posts that we have seen so much of recently.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Chris

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

See my personal comments below:

This has become a trend lately. We used to simply report the SPAM and post the report. Now, it seems that everything ends up as a bickering contest. Unfortunate.

I totally agree. It's childish. I don't call anyone else's ride a POS, and I don't feel that anyone else has the right, either. If you don't like it, keep your opinions to your self. Personally, I'd be inclined to killfile anyone who consistantly made these kinds of comments. (Oh, wait! I already did!)

Unfortunately this is not new. We have lost (to some extent) some very worthwile posters due to this crap. Personally, I'd be inclined to killfile anyone who consistantly made these kinds of comments. (Oh, wait! I already did!)

This is each poster's personal choice. Feel free to use your personal email address if you like SPAM (see above remarks). Most of us either doctor our email address or get a yahoo, hotmail, or other free email account for newsgroup postings. There is no reason to belittle someone for not using their personal email here. Personally, I'd be inclined to killfile anyone who consistantly made these kinds of comments. (Oh, wait! I already did!)

I still lurk here and post occasionally when I feel I may have something to contribute, I spend a lot more time elsewhere, mainly because of the points you have pointed out above. Unfortunately, you can't killfile *everyone* who pulls this childish crap. Partly because some of these people contribute genuinely useful posts most of the time. Partly because it would be awfully quiet here. It's been very disappointing lately, though.

Jim

Reply to
TJim

IHMO, there is an advantage to posting a copy of the forward message. It reminds people that forwarding the header information to the appropriate places is the only correct response to SPAM. It also tells newbies that you can and should respond to SPAM in this manner.

Reply to
TJim

Ditto 100 percent, Jim & Chris.

You can still pick up some good Jeepin info in here sometimes, but it seems folks concentrate on the negative BS too damn much anymore. The group sure isn't what it used to be 3-4 years ago.

Terry.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

Exactly... and there are always the same two self-righteous names right in the middle of all the "negative BS"... which is why I spend about 1% of the time I used to in this formerly fun to belong to group. And while they spend their time proclaiming their love of Jeep, they're in spirit the biggest Jeep haters I've ever known.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Amen, J.B.! It's a big internet... There are other places to talk Jeep, guys... Look around. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis
[Re: I have to speak my mind]

Oh good, I always loved short subjects.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

I'm of the opinion that responding to SPAM publicly is just as bad as being a spammer to begin with. From a technical perspective it is

*exactly* the same. Waste of bandwidth, storage and my time.

Spammers should be treated like Trolls - simply publicly ignored.

- Trevor

Reply to
Trevor

He speaks and confirms the very thing I refer to.

Chris

Actually, all of you are wrong. There is one thing worse than all the whining and moaning about off topic spam, that is all of the whining and moaning from folks like you and travis about all the whining and moaning about the off-topic spam.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:05:53 GMT, "L0nD0t.$t0we11" shared the following:

But there's always people like you who whine about people like me who whine about people whining about spam, and we all know *that* is the worst of all. Unless... Nevermind. Starting to make my head hurt. :-P

-- Travis

unto others. Then split.Happy trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The original spammer did keep mentioning the tops as if they were something he just happened to stumble across...the kind of posting a good email junk filter will automatigically discard.

Worse, the tops themselves look like the kind of mechanical abortion some DC marketdroid flake would try to put on a Liberty or the new s-box sedan based Jeep.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Dana Carvy, Saturday Night Live!........Grumpy old man.

Reply to
baggss

I agree C, this is the first time i have been on here in months due to your points, for all you Grand owners

and you libby owners

Take care

-- Bruce

99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac 89 YJ 03 Liberty Ltd L.O.S.T #000256 00 Explorer
Reply to
BWM