Question about handling

I just recently purchased a 1999 Ford Mustang GT Convertable, and I am curious as to how they handle in the snow and rain? And what are some recommendations to people that have experienced problems with slipping and slidding?

Thanks in advance, Nick

Reply to
Nick

Mustangs are not the best car in the rain. I don't know what else to suggest other than getting a good set of tires for it. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Very simple... drive carefully. After you have it out in the rain a few times, you will get the feel of the car. Good tires help, but are not everything. The real key here is to drive very conservatively in the rain. Take a look at the photos at this link:

Take a good hard look. Realizethat you can flip a car very easily if you are not careful. Like Vic Morrowsaid in Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry, "it's not the car, it's the driver".Mustang's can give a false sense of handling security... they feel tight andhandle well overall, but this may entice you to push it too hard... thenyour car will look like the one in the photos and hopefully you'll escapewith your life. Another kid just got killed in a car in my area last night,most likely from driving wrecklessly. It really pains me to hear such news.The fact is, there is NO reasonable excuse for hitting a pole, tree,guardrail whatever other than wreckless driving. So... don't worry too muchabout the car, but pay attention to your driving skills, and be sure toALWAYS exercise maturity and care while driving. I've done plenty of highspeed car and motorcycle racing in the past before I knew better... I amlucky to be alive, but many others aren't. Take driving very seriously.Best of luck with your new Mustang... if you respect the car and the road,you will get lots of enjoyment out of it!

Reply to
WideGlide

Mustang crash due to spin on wet road

Reply to
WideGlide

In snow, drive very, very slow! I've gone over a mountain road in slushy snow in my '96 GT and although I was only driving at 20 mph, I could feel my car slide to the side of the road.

Rain is easy. Just don't get too spirited.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Two types of tires I found to be very good for rain: Firestone Firehawks Bridgestone Potenzas

Another thing I hear would help some would be to put that 40 pound battery in the trunk and run cable up to the front of the car. This will help balance your car and put more weight over the back tires.

Scotter

96 GT Convertible
Reply to
Scotter

Look: when the roads are dry and the sun is shinin', have a ball. But when it rains or snows, take your time, leave plenty of separation, and have one goal in mind - to get where you're going without a scratch.

In rain, I've had great results with Goodrich Comp T/As, and now their g-force KDWS. You can only learn the limits of your tires by driving. Practice, practice, practice (and what's more fun than practicing in a Mustang?). Good tread is a must, of course, along with a light touch on the accelerator. Don't think for a moment that you can drive flat-out on wet roads.

As for snow, I can only, again, suggest that you practice. Find an unplowed parking lot (mall, shopping center) or lonely back road, and learn to make friends with the slide. When you can control it, you don't have to fear it. That being said, however, driving in snow is all about planning ahead. Separation is key - don't get yourself into a tight spot by following too closely (ever). Don't wander off the plowed highways to take a shortcut down some tertiary road. Know your route, and where there are hills with stop signs or lights on an uphill grade. THINK.

Take your time, use a good deal of common sense, and your Mustang in snow can actually be kind of fun.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Traction - especially in the snow - is more a function of tires than anything else. Get rid of the wide flat tobaggon tires, and get a good set of snow tires. Not all-season radials, but real snow tires. Then you'll be able to drive confidently throughout the year.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
jimmy nguyen

Currently the car has Kumho 17" (245/45-17) tires on the road, do you think I should get some snow tires next winter? Anybody have an experience with these tires?

Reply to
Nick

Well, like other people have already said on here. Mustangs can be quite a problem driving in the rain or snow. In the snow I would suggest to put some weight in the trunk to improve traction. People put bags of sand in there to help.

In the rain be very very careful. Taking a turn a little too fast can become disaster. Been there, done that. One late rainy night driving in my 95GT I ended up in the wrong lane because the rear end broke out making a left turn. I went over the median into the oncoming traffic. Thankfully it was late and I did not hit anyone/anything. Still scared the heck out of me and since then I know very very well to take turns slowly in the rain.

I suggest you find an open parking lot on a rainy day and play with the car. see what it can do. Take fast turns, with and without throttle, with and without the traction-control on (if your car has this option) You will learn a valuable lesson ! do this same thing in the snow.

Rein

In the rain, common sense is best. In snow I've heard the Blizzack's are the best tire you can get. Even with traction control, it's always an adventure driving a stang in bad weather, but if you know what you're doing it can be fun!

Reply to
joe

I have Blizzack's on my car and as long as i dont push to hard on the throttle it is one of the besta handling cars i have ever drivin in snow, just today we got about 5 inches on snow and I was able to drive through it like there was nothing.

Reply to
Bob Sacamano

I'm running Kumho Ecstra Supra 712's. Good grip on dry and wet surfaces. However with the 4:10 gears it is very easy the lose traction.

Reply to
Richard

That depends entirely on how much snow driving you'll have to do. For example, here in the PNW we get very few (if any) snow days per year, and the only real reason to get dedicated snow tires is if you visit the mountains frequently. All seasons are usually fine for me, though I carry chains as a backup.

However, if you're in someplace where there's snow on the ground for a good chunk of the year (in my mind, more than a couple weeks), you're probably better off getting dedicated snow tires and mounting them on the smallest steel rims that will clear your calipers.

When it comes to snow (and to some extent, rain), narrower tires are much better performers; whereas a wider tire tends to "float" over the surface, narrower tires will slice down and be able to find more grip. In theory, anyway. Plus, narrower is usually cheaper. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren