Gas Guage Stuck

I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand AM....I filled my car all the up three days ago....I have driven Two Hundred miles now and my Gas Guage is The needle type "not Digital"...and it is still on Full....Could someone please let me know what could be causing this and what can i do to make the gas guage work once again....Thanks for your help...Gary

Reply to
""GARY"""

Two things you could try first is ( 1 ) the pounding of the fist on the dashboard. ( 2 ) Try driving in hard tight circles in a parking lot. Try sloshing the gas around in the tank, to see if it helps make the needle move.

If you wrote down the mileage when you got gas let it run down some till you think its near E and refill it again and see if it does it again.

Could be a faulty gauge or sending unit in the tank.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,614 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Gary, My 2000 Pontiac Grand AM has had two problems with the gas gauge. The first one was right after I got it. I ran out of gas on the interstate even though it said I still had 1/4 of a tank left. They fixed it under warranty. Just recently, my dad started my car and saw that my needle went all the way down. I told him that was impossible because I had just filled up hours ago. So I go out and the needle shows a full tank. My dad thinks he is seeing things. However, I drove about 200 feet and had to turn around to get something. When I put the car in park, the needle went down and showed empty. It was a VERY cold night here...so I am not sure if that had something to do with it or not. Currently it seems to be working ok. I basically am to the point that I will only trust it as long as it shows full when I fill it up.

A co-worker has an Impala (GM car) with the same problem.

Reply to
Ryan

My TransSport used to do the same thing - I've stopped buying SHELL gas, and the problem has gone away (at least I have not run out of gas in the 8 months or so since)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Before you do anything that costs money,disconnect your ground connection near the gas tank.Then use sandpaper to get down to the metal and clean the connecting wire.Connect it back up and you may solve your problem.That is what I did on a Bonneville belonging to my son.It may be troublesome to get to it but pretend you have monkey hands and you can do it .It took me about

Reply to
Eno Zamora

its a 2003, doesn't it still have warranty? if so, do nothing but book an appointment

Reply to
M.C. Tee