Grand Am engine stops

I have a Pontiac Grand Am SE 3 Litre 1987. Here's my problem: The engine stops during driving. Then the engine starts but stops after 2 seconds. SES light comes on most of the times. I have been to 2 different garages. One garage said the in car contact for the computer diagnose was broken. They replaced air mass controller, fuel pump relay, oil pressure contact, spark plugs and spark plug wires. Price $1300 of which labour cost is $600.

After about 500 miles it happened again. The exact same problem. Another town, another garage. About 400 miles from home, I had to leave it at this garage. According to them the computer diagnose said the map sensor was broken. They also told me that this car doesn't have a map sensor. They replaced fuel filter, oxygen sensor, temperature sensor, ignition control module. So far I've paid $600 for the parts. The car still doesn't run. The bill for labour I will get after they have solved the problems. Labour cost per hour here in Norway is about $80. I have no idea how many hours it will take or how much more parts they will replace. I need very bad to get this car running again before I will have to sell it to pay for the repair! Any good tips out there?

Reply to
Knut J. Vognstølen

The problem as I see it is loss of electrical power. I would go over the ground and pos. power supply. Clean all connections at batteries,inspect main electrical harness connectors also fusible links . Multiple codes are caused usually by bad power and ground. Good luck.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Thanks for the tip Rey! :) However, I got a phone call from the garage yesterday. They had found out that the first garage had put in the air mass controller upside down, and it was not working. The reason it was defective might be that it was upside down, the electric part of it was very close to the exhaust pipes. I will pobably take the train tomorrow night and pick up the car on Friday and drive it home, hopefully with NO problems. *s* Knut

-wondering to trade in the Grand Am for a Catalina or Caprice.

"Reynaud" skrev i melding news:988uc.12208$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.mts.net...

Reply to
Knut J. Vognstølen