Key is stuck in ignition!

Hi, I have a 1991 Chevy Cavalier V4 with about 165,000 miles on it. As I turned off the engine today, I noticed the key would not come out of the ignition. I made sure the automatic transmission was in "Park", which it was. And I also tried turning the steering wheel to both extremes, to see if this would help, but it didn't.

I am not sure if this matters, but you can now start the car by simply turning the ignition cylinder that the ignition lock sits in, in addition to just turning the key by itself. Not sure if it did this before.

I replaced the ignition switch was about 3 years ago. I also notice that at times in the past, what the shift stick indicated was not always what gear the car was in (something is loose/not set right under the shift stick console--might have come loose when I tried to vacuum inside there once). But in this case, I made sure it was in park.

I am tempted to pull the steering wheel and see if I can remove the cylinder and manually pull the key out.

Does anyone have any advice about this? Right now I am using two clubs and a rag to make sure no one steals my car! Thanks!

Stephanie

Reply to
Stephanie

Also, is it illegal to leave your keys in your car ignition?

Reply to
Stephanie

Approximately 10/11/03 01:52, Stephanie uttered for posterity:

You'd have to ask a lawyer in your state that question.

However, if you leave the keys in the car and some kid steals the car and crashes into another car, don't be surprised if some lawyer decides you are partially liable for creating an attractive nuisance.

Unless the goal is to get your car stolen so you can buy a new one with the insurance money, I wouldn't recommend it.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Cylinder turns when the pins are lined up whether pressure is put on the key or the cylinder.

I doubt you'll have any luck, the problem is probably a stuck pin. Since the key is in you can't really lubricate it. If wiggling it up and down doesn't free it then try a locksmith.

Reply to
paint8oy

Now I don't know about your car . I don't suggest you take my advice. But I wouldn't hesitate to hook a lanyard to to the key and jerk it out. And afterwards you may find that you can take the key out while the engine is running.(perk) I and others have done this on purpose for that convienence.. And you will still need the key to start the car . I have only done this on pre

94 GM vehicles and with the ignition switched on. It shears the pin that holds the key in the ignition.

I have never changed one, but in the Help section of Advance auto parts they sell a replacement lock assembly. I recall it saying it installs in minutes. So I don't think you need to remove the steering wheel to do it, but I understand the lock has to be in the on position to remove it. I'm not sure if they used that assy on your car.

Reply to
Akacguy6161

ok, good to know this.

Ok, this might be the case then. I will post on the locksmith ng to see if they know anything. Thanks for your help paint80y!

Stephanie

Reply to
Stephanie

thanks! I will try this and report back here.

S.

Reply to
Stephanie

convienence..

Wow. I am not sure if I want to break the pin that holds the key in place, but I might have to do this as a last resort. We'll see. :) I'll check out Advance Auto to see what they have too.

S.

Reply to
Stephanie

Approximately 10/12/03 00:34, Akacguy6161 uttered for posterity:

Also make sure that any keychains attached to the key have nothing on them to speak of. Have seen keychains with an awesome amount of weight hanging from keys... which tends to wear the otherwise cheap GM locks even faster than normal.

Reply to
Lon Stowell