Help! 95 GTP Oil Leak

My 95 GTP 3.4L DOHC leaks oil. Not a whole lot, but it does leak. Maybe a quart a month. Does anyone know what might be causing the leak? I recently changed the intake gaskets, could these be the problem? I so what could I have done wrong?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Dustin

Reply to
dk001

The intake gaskets will have nothing to do with an oil leak if you have the DOHC engine (which you say you do). The main areas that leak oil on this engine are the head gaskets, and the oil pump drive o-ring seal. Unfortunately, on this engine, you must remove the rear cylinder head to replace that oil pump drive o-ring. Big job, and unless you have worked on this engine, probably best to leave it someone who has.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I have the same problem with my 3.4 95 GT. I had the pump shaft seal replaced over a year ago under a used car extended warranty and it still leaked when they were done. Then it took several trips back to the shop before they could get the car running right. It was a dealer shop. I didn't want them to screw up anything else, plus my warranty was up and it would cost over $1000 to pull the head/heads again. I still have the leak, just add a quart every 700 to 1000 miles and some cardboard under the car in the garage. PS, The car still runs great.

Lee

Reply to
T-Zone

Ian, do you recall when GM started using the improved (brown) O-ring in production vehicles??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

Al Haunts wrote

Not exactly, but it seems to me that around 1999/2000 is when it was changed. I still tend to change even the brown ones, but I have yet to find an "installed" brown o-ring that wasn't still supple and in good shape.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I guess I'd be wondering what kind of job they actually did. I've heard of some guys just lifting up the oil pump drive a bit and then cutting a chevy distributor gasket, putting it in place with a lot of RTV. This is a real hack way of doing things. If a shop replaced the o-ring with the updated one and also installed a chevy distributor gasket, there is no way it should leak "from that area". The head gaskets on this engine also leak oil, perhaps they only removed the rear head, and the front one is still leaking. Not many guys are comfortable or competent working on this engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Wow, sounds like a lot of work :( Not that I don't feel comfortable working on it though. I haven't the slightest idea where it ight be leaking from though, but there are spots under the car in the road. It looks like it's more towards front and center of the engine though, not so much in the back. I didn't think that changing the intake gaskets would affect the oil either, but I wanted to be sure that I didn't break it :P

Anyway, thanks for the input, and any other useful info you can give me would be great!

Thank You! Dustin

Reply to
dk001