hoping someone here might be able to help me (1988 firebird)

im having a problem with my 88 firebird, it use to run fine, like most cars, whats ahping is ill drive along then the car will die out and wont start back up it wont evena ttmpt to crank over, so im guessing the batteryw as dead/low. a firend of mine put a higher battery in it that had

990 cranking amps, and it ran fine till the battery hit the car frame, im guessing that battery is low but it dont seam right that it should use that much cranking amps, it use to run fine on a nomral car battery, what could be cuaseing it to need that much more cranking amps to keep running?
Reply to
Umori_Bawar

A battery rated at 990 cold cranking amps (or whatever rating) delivers only what the starter and the rest of the electrical system demands of it if it can, and most of the time this demand is far less than the battery's maximum rating. My guess is that you just need to put a new battery of the original rating in your machine, clean and tighten the cables, and then check your alternator to make sure that it's doing its job. The alternator may be the underlying culprit for your present situation.

You lost me with "it ran fine till the battery hit the car frame." What does that mean?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

sorry i ment "it ran fine till the screw on he batteyr cable hit the car frame" although before for that happend at night it seamed like there was some kind of power fluxation, the head lights would kind of dim in and out.

Reply to
Umori_Bawar

Check the spark timing. If advanced too far will cause slow cranking. Dirty ground and power connections can cause the same thing. Check at the battery and where the cables connect to the engine.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

I think you really need to look at yuor alternator. It sounds like it is not keeping the battery charged. If you have an ampmeter on the dash, it should be charging at about 13.5 amps. If it is charging at lessthan 12, the battery is slowing being drained as you drive.

tom

Reply to
Tom S