when Engine Oil need to be changed

hi- I have camry 2000- i drive hardly 100 miles per months , some times less then that. i would like to know is there any time limit for Engine oil change, like every 6 months oil need to be chnage Or enterily dependent on

3000 miles. Problem :- My car is making some strange noise when ever i make U truns or left trun offcourse the noise is very less , but still i feel that noise kat,kat,kat.i checked steering oil fluids everything is fine . but worried to take dealer they may charge $$$ of buck.

Thanks -

Reply to
urmcky

How many miles do you drive per trip? If you're driving

Reply to
hachiroku

Ask friends & co-workers if any of them know an independent (non-dealer) mechanic that they're happy with. Sadly, you will still have to pay them, but it might hurt less than if you took the car to the dealer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Take the car to dealer, but get an estimate. If the estimate seems high, take it elsewhere.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Why do you prefer the dealer? And, if the person has no knowledge of the possible price range, how could any number "seem high"?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If there is no warranty issue then I would do the oil every 24 months regardless. If you are putting in a quart of oil every tank - even less often. This worked just fine on domestic products - why not T.

Reply to
mike

At least the dealer is knowledgeable about Toyotas. I would think that a price of $10,000 would seem high.

The OP can ask friends, take the vehicle for a second opinion, etc. However, if the price is $15, it is probably not worth the trouble.

I don't know the OPs bank account. The OP can figure out what is too high before going for another opinion.

Jeff - When I asked my doctor for a second opinion, he said, "You're ugly, too."

Reply to
Jeff

every 3 months or 3000 thousand miles is the usual... unless youre getting high grade oil...

Reply to
GO Mavs

Look - it is not the engine that will wear out in this case. It is all the plastic and rubber parts and seals that will all turn to rat shit after about 12 to 25 years in my experience.

Reply to
mike

Every 3 months or 3000 thousand miles? 3000 thousand miles is 3 million miles. Maybe the space shuttle or air plane does that in a year.

The usual recommendation from the money-hungry oil change places is 3 months or 3 thousand miles (not 3000 thousand miles). That's good for old cars (like from the 70s), but not for modern cars that use today's improved oils.

I wouldn't change the oil on any modern vehicle more often than every

5000 mi, unless it is not used often, in which I would change it at most every 6 to 12 months because of the condensation of water in the crankcase.

However, if you don't use your car much, the oil doesn't need to be changed every 3 months. It doesn't wear out just sitting there.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you only hear the sound when you make a U-turn, then it sounds like you may have a CV joint binding up and releasing. Find a good mechanic (ask friends or co-workers to recommend one) and let them check it out.

If it is a CV joint then it won't be related to how often you change the engine oil. The oil change places will tell you to change it every 3 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. Drive you car for 30 to 50 miles at one stretch every couple of weeks to get the oil hot and change it every 4500 to 6000 miles, whatever your owner's handbook says.

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me

I did not read it fully... but i was just saying what the usual was... honestly.. i dont care if he changes it every 5 years and the car falls apart.. my ass itches

Reply to
GO Mavs

I'm in much the same boat as you are. I only drive my car to run shopping errands on my days off. I was told to change the oil at least every six months due to the short trips I make. I use synthetic oil that I buy ahead of time whenever it comes on sale for a really cheap price (last time Quaker State Advanced at 1/2 price at Canadian Tire).

Another thing to keep in mind is that your battery may run down because you aren't running your car often enough. I have a Battery Tender Plus that I leave plugged in for a few days during the week.

Reply to
homepc

It is much better if you post your comments (excellent ones in this case) below the post, rather than top-posting, so that other people can follow the thread more easily.

The idea of running the car say 25 miles on a trip every couple of week would take care of both the water and whatever else builds up in oil and the battery issue.

Personally, I would think that there really isn't a battery issue for the OP, or else he would have noticed something, however (which doesn't meant that the top-posting poster doesn't have a good point).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff