How to change Oil Pan

Hello Im trying to change my oil pan on my 1990 trans am gta I have all the bolts out and every thing and have heard that I need to jack up my motor now. How do I go about this and ive have noticed that there is a very small amount of room on top of trans mission. I tried just to take it of but the flywheel is in the way by about 6 inches does this mean that the flywheel has to come off or I just jack it up enough? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Reply to
Nancy Krey

"Nancy Krey" wrote

I think you are in for a world of hurt. I do not remember when the F-bodies changed to the latest style, but if your

1990 is the later style, you may need to remove the trans, or drop the front subframe a bit. I've done this job on a 97 Camaro, and had to drop the transmission out, "and" drop the subframe (in the later years, the subframe could be unbolted from the body, as the engine can only come out the bottom).

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

1990 is the 3rd-gen style. That still doesn't help as there is NO room to jack up the engine. Probably going to have to separate the engine/trans and pull the engine with a cherry picker ...
Reply to
Dennis Smith

Hey Dennis, I could dig through a giant stack of HPP mags to find out the year break down on gen. switches, or you could post it off the top of your head I bet. I'll guess for fun:

1st Generation 1967-69 (looked like a little GTO) 2G 1970.5-1981 (Smokey and the Bandit) 3G 1982-1993 (Knight Rider) 4G 94-2002

Am I close??

GW

Dennis Smith wrote:

Reply to