Low Temperature - Low Heater Output - Sludge in System!

I just bought a 2000 Grand Prix (3100 engine) with 123,000 miles. The engine temp gague is always at a low reading (about 160 - 170) even if I rev the engine or leave it idle for a while. Also, the heater blows mildly warm air. I opened the radiator, and found all kinds of brown sludge. I immediately took it to get flushed. I was told that I need to come back in about a month to have it done again. The temp got up to about 180 and blew warmer air for about 15 minutes, now I'm back to where I was. I'm suspecting the thermostat, but it doesn't make logical sense to me. Also, how much damage this will cause the vehicle if left this way? Thanks for any input!

Reply to
longshadow71

cmsearls1

Reply to
Dipstick

Replace the thermostat. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

If there is one. I assume idiots exist on other continents, a favorite idiot trick here in Australia is taking out the thermostat to prevent overheating.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

you should reflush the system, several times, until the Dexcool is completely removed from the system --- then do the thermostat and replace coolant with "green" stuff. Dexcool can gel making the cooling system ineffective.

--tr

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

tom ronson

I'd replace the thermostat "and" backflush the heater core only. I've fixed numerous GM vehicles for "low heat" by just backflushing the heater core. For some reason, the Dexcool seems to gel up inside the core. Most radiator "flushes" don't do this procedure unless you ask them to do it specifically.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai