montana harmonic balancer

I have a 1999 Pontiac Montana. Wife com\complains belt is slipping in the morning making squealing noise goes away after 10-15 mins. So I changed the belt then ran the engine, while checking out the new belt I noticed the belt was vibrating after it came from the harmonic balancer while looking at the balancer it looks like it's shaking out of round this also causes the tensioner to jump am I right to think the harmonic balancer is gone and needs replacement.

Reply to
G.W.

The balancer is probably a two piece unit. The hub is rubber and the pulley is steel. The two are fused together. Crack the belt tensioner loose enough and see if you can move the steel ring back and forth on the rubber hub. Sounds like the bond has broken.

How many miles does your van have? Mine cut loose at 299,000

Good Luck.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,941 miles
Reply to
Harry Face