More help GA running hot, Garage can't find the problem

I took my 95 quad 4 Grand Am into the garage this morning, and based on my description of what has been happening they warned me up front that I could have a cracked head and/or head gasket. The car has been running warm, but not with any consistency. One day it will be fine, the next it be run warm, there is almost no way to tell. Anyways, I called them back, cuz I hadn't heard from them, and they said they are unable to find any problems. I asked them about the head gasket and they said the head gasket and head was fine, no leaks. They also said the water pump was running fine, and the thermostat and radiator fan were just replaced last week. They took it out for a ride, and said it did not run warm. Sometimes when I go out on the highway for a bit then I get off and get into start/stop traffic, the temp will creep up over half, and almost under the 3/4 mark. I dodn't think this is normal. WHen this happens I can smell the antifreeze, and I know it will boil over soon if I don't stop or get moving again at a decent speed. I have only had the car 3 months, but it never did this until about 2 weeks ago, so something has definitely changed. The garage said they will take another look at it tomorrow, and I said as a last resort perhaps they could do a radiator flush. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I should have them check. Or any other reason why it might start running warm all of a sudden. The part that drives me nuts is that it is intermittent, and they can't find anything wrong. Please, any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. If you need any more info, read my thread below entitled "Grand AM Overheating"

Regards, KDAwg

Reply to
KDawg

Sounds like the fan is not turning on. Check it.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?p=B6yats?="=?x-user-defined?Q?=40tex=B6as

Reply to
KDawg

Is it possible for you, or have you tried some things as getting a sniffer test done on the exhaust? One thing I can think of that could be a cause is incorrect timing. Or something off about the air/fuel mixture. That's a broad check though. It involves a lot of components to check. Even heavy carbon build up because of a previous condtion might be able to do this. But trying things to solve it without narrowing it down will cost a lot, and take a lot of time. I would also guess the fan as the previous responder did. But you have stated that it operates as intended. I also own a '95 GA with a Quad, and yes, it gets warm sometimes in stop and go traffic, or sitting, but the fan always cools it off. It never goes past half.

I don't know, it's an idea!

Good luck,

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Thanks Tony. Mine was running fine, it alwats stayed about 1/4 and would only go up to about 1/2 the odd time when in stop /start traffic, but now it has gone well over 1/2, and starts to approach the 3/4 mark. I am definitely going to get a radiator flush, and also ask them to replace the radiator cap. The inside of the overflow reservoir looks brownish so it's probably a good idea to flush that sucker out. Besides I got the car used about 3-4 months ago, and I have no idea what was previously done to it. Anyways I feel relieved that they said it is not a cracked head or head gasket problem.

Will a radiator flush clear any air pockets in the coolant system, or is that a seperate procedure ?

Reply to
KDawg

Now that you mention the overflow water is brownish. I would say that is your problem. A flush would definitely help, if not completely cure your problem.

1) your antifreeze is slowly breaking down, and losing its ability to absorb and release heat.

2) due to the deposits that are obviously there, flow is decreased

3) The water pump may be operating, but not well at all. All those deposits and grime surely have coated the fins of the pump some, or even a lot. Making the pump less efficient.

I now believe a flush would do a LOT for you. Make sure its thorough, to get all that crap out of there.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

I know you said the thermostat was replaced, but it really sounds like it's not opening at the right temp.

Reply to
kato