Pontiac Grand Prix Power Steering Whining & Groaning Noises Repair Guide

A few days ago I started hearing groans and whines coming from the engine bay of my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP sedan equipped with the GM 3800 Series II, Eaton M90 supercharged, L67 V6 engine.

I figured that it was either a failing power steering pump or a low power steering fluid level in the reservoir. It took a bit of work to access the p/s system's reservoir.

I took pictures of the process and posted them along with instructions in the gallery below.

Hopefully, it will help out anyone else who is having the same problem. Now my steering wheel is much easier to turn and there are no whining or groaning noises coming from the engine bay.

Cheers, Paul Michaels Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Reply to
Paul Michaels

Was there any power steering fluid on the ground after you made the hard U-turn? When I bought my GTP, the power steering made the same noise and it was low on fluid. There was never any power steering fluid in the driveway, but the level kept dropping. It turns out that when the lower A-arm bushings got bad, the steering rack took a beating because it became the more "rigid" link in the suspension... which pounds the bushings out of the steering rack. The fluid leaking out of the ends of the steering rack fills up the rubber "bellows" on either end of the rack... and gets "squeezed" out when you turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other. It doesn't leak sitting in the driveway... it leaks in parking lots when you turn the wheel too far. LOL If you start your car up and turn the wheel from lock-to-lock... you might find fluid pouring down out of the rubber bellows on either end of the rack. Changing the steering rack was absolutely the worst auto-repair job I have ever done. Lower the engine/transmission cradle while trying to work under the car!

"Paul Michaels" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@v38g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

David Courtney