pontiac trans sport 95 some times no overdrive

Hi,

we have a strange problem we noticed on our holiday. The problem: at highway speeds, w/ the gear selector in "OD", the trans won't upshift to OD anymore. It stays in 3rd, and never go back. If I click the ignition off and back on, OD will come back for a while, then drop back into 3rd.

This problem only occurs while driving for some time and not on short trips.

Anybody any suggestions what this could be?

Ron.

Reply to
Charlie Rypto

Slim possibility, but worth checking - is temperature sensor. Trans will not go into overdrive if it thinks the engine is below operating temperature.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Could be a faulty overdrive cancellation switch that is causing this problem. If it is, you are in luck. The fix usually only runs about 50 bucks at a trustworthy transmission shop. That includes the new switch and labor for installing it. Let's hope that's all it is.

V.H.

Reply to
V.H.

Sounds like your trans is in fail-safe. Take it to be checked. There's likely DTC's stored in the computer.

Reply to
hyundaitech